AiNET’s Beltsville, MD facility is an exceptional data center in the Washington, DC area.
One of the world’s only certified SAS-70/SSAE-16 Type II, TIA-942 Tier IV data centers, the AiNET Beltsville (WDC-8) facility was purpose-built as a mission-critical data center for the U.S. Government.
Featuring support for very high power densities (more than 25KW per cabinet – supported in this facility and in the new AiNET CyberNAP in Glen Burnie, MD), this highly-secure, 42,000 sq. ft. facility is 15 miles from the zero mile marker on the Washington, DC ellipse and is easily accessible from major highways. Because the facility and property are fully owned by AiNET, we can immediately respond to changes in security, connectivity and density, as well as offer long term contracts.
Data center colocation is offered from sub-cabinets to cages, and suite and wholesale build-outs including SCIF space are readily provided. Despite its unique reliability, certifications, and service capabilities, this data center is price competitive with all others in Northern Virginia, Maryland and Washington, DC. Contact us and ask us to prove it with a quote!
All AiNET data centers support AiNET MicroMetering™, the service that brings all benefits of metered power – notably the cost-savings and reliability gains – to AiNET data center colocation customers.
All AiNET services are backed by our comprehensive 100% Service Level Agreement (SLA) that features monetary penalties even, as in the case of connectivity, that the services extends beyond the data center.
Details of this location are presented below, but you will find the facility’s major systems block diagrams interesting and informative and when you are looking to compare data center choices, the Comparison Check List will prove highly useful.
AiNET’s Beltsville facility is carrier-neutral and features several connectivity options:
- Contract with carriers with dark fiber and services into the facility, which include: Abovenet, FiberLight, TWTelecom, and Verizon.
- Procure inter-building cross connections from AiNET to hundreds of carriers in carrier hotels and premier data centers in Washington, Baltimore and Northern Virginia carried on AiNET’s virtually limitless, highly-robust, DWDM regional network. Example major carriers just a simple inter-building cross connection away include: AT&T, CenturyLink, Cogent, Global Crossing, Level3, PCCW Global, Qwest, Savvis, Sidera, Teliasonera, TW Telecom, Verizon Business and XO Communications.
- Utilize managed Internet bandwidth from AiNET.
Access to the data center is via diverse, concrete-encased fiber entrances (laterals).
The AiNET DWDM network is designed to full BellCore/Telcordia physical separation requirements of all redundant elements.
All connectivity services provided by AiNET are backed by the AiNET 100% Service Level Agreement (SLA).
AiNET understands that power is the lifeblood of any data center and AiNET does not overlook any element pertaining to power supply security, distribution, stability and conditioning, or operational continuity. This includes deployment of AiNET’s patented (U.S. patented; worldwide patents pending) critical power management system that enhances power stability and security by addressing serious shortcomings in the design of all existing critical power installations. At this time, the AiNET Beltsville data center is the only data center in the world with this level of power security.
Power Features Include:
- Protection from classes of power problems that afflict every other data center in the world through AiNET’s patented Critical Power Protection Supervisor technology. Within 10 years, virtually all data centers and other critical power installations will have deployed this technology.
- High Power Density Support – more than 25KW/cabinet.
- Metered power to recognize customers’ power management of their own equipment and to ensure equitable billing and enhanced power efficiency. Now with AiNET MicroMetering™, data center colocation customers can enjoy all the benefits of metered power – including significant cost savings and power redundancy.
- A+B+C power configurations that are delivered from fully-independent A, B and C power systems.
- Each power feed path (A + B + C) features its own UPS, its own battery string, transformers and its own Circuit Breaker Panels. Individual power feed paths have no common element (such as a PDU/Power Distribution Unit, STS or similar single point failure/inefficiency).
- On the principal that failure is very expensive, every battery is replaced every three years, despite batteries’ nominal 10 year lifetime.
- Dual, redundant medium voltage (13.2KV) power feeds from distinct utility substation feeders that improve the reliability of fundamental, utility-provided power.
- On premise, AiNET-owned, operated and serviced electrical substation and transformers. Frequent, critical service checks, on a more regular basis than the power company would perform, assure continued operations.
- Fully protected medium voltage power that is distributed building-wide and stepped down by independent transformers fed by the building’s substation.
- Engineered to provide at least 2N level of power, cooling (3N) and redundancy as required for a TIA-942 Tier IV designation.
- Diesel generator runtime in excess of 7 days at full load available with on-site fuel storage; 24/7 one-hour SLA on refueling/resupplying all critical utilities. Facilities on Critical Infrastructure Restoration lists (TSIP) to assume priority in fueling (and other utilities and communications).
- UPS units that regenerate line power to completely isolate the critical operating building loads from the utility grid.
- All commercial power and standby diesel power is configurable to cross connect building-wide, to support all disaster recovery options.
- All power units, main distribution panels, transfer switches, Uninterruptible Power Supplies, diesel generators, Power Distribution Units, Remote Power Panels, DC rectification and distribution systems are monitored to the circuit breaker level and/or branch circuit for all operating parameters.
- Level 6 Tiered Infrastructure Maintenance Standard (TIMS) derived from computerized predictive analysis system that enables performance trending, capacity analysis, alerts, automated response and reporting.
In summary, the AiNET Beltsville, MD Data Center features the highest level of power management and security and some of the highest power density available in the industry. The patented Critical Power Protection Supervisor technology remains unique to AiNET. The benefit for those in this data center is rock solid power stability and certainty.
- High energy efficiency by separation of hot and cold rows.
- Closed Loop Free-cooling enabled enhanced energy efficiency without the loss of environmental or security control often associated with open (free-air) free-cooling.
- Redundant chilled water loops and (3N) redundant chillers that permit in-service repair and maintenance with no service outage or interruption.
- Redundant system with switch-ability: All cooling elements – water loops, chillers, CRACs, cooling towers, etc. – comprise a single, comprehensive, switchable system in which elements may be cross-connected/switched in and out of service for serviceability and continual operations.
- Protection against loss of utility-provided water (used in evaporation) via a water reservoir which uses gravity to supply the evaporators.
- Security of water availability via 24/7 one-hour SLA on resupply. Facility on Critical Infrastructure Restoration lists (TSIP) to assume priority in resupply. Back-up supply via an on-site well.
The result of AiNET’s design and management of cooling systems is more secure and more stable cooling, and better energy usage, which provides cost benefits to users.
Facility Attributes, Security and Management
The AiNET Beltsville, MD Data Center is a standout data center in the Washington, DC, area.
- Data center certified as SAS 70 Type II, TIA-942 Tier IV, one of the few such certified data centers in the world.
- Communications certified according to TIA-942 standards for redundancy, separation and diversity.
- Certifications and Standards: SAS 70 Type II (certified, not just accredited); HIPAA; DCID 6/9 for SCIF; ICD 705/ICS 705.2; PCI-DSS; FISMA, NIST Cloud; SOX.
Physical Attributes and Security
- Positioned outside of all Federal nuclear blast zone areas and key distance requirements.
- Situated above the 500 year flood plain location per FEMA guidelines.
- Wall thickness: 6” (15 cm) thick reinforced concrete walls that create a secure data vault with physical separations on all six sides.
- Concrete encasement of diverse fiber entrances (laterals) to the facilities.
- No regular vehicle traffic near the building; separation from main thoroughfares by more than 250 feet/75 m.
- Protected from ramming vehicles by virtue of raised-slab reinforced concrete construction (design-integrated bollard).
- High-security fencing protection of outside systems of the data center.
- Controlled building access – primary entrance point inside of a secure, reinforced perimeter with controlled access via biometric mantrap, infrared video monitoring, and electronic passage technology.
- Controlled, isolated shipping/receiving and freight inspection facilities.
- Parking capacity for 150 vehicles in 4 separate areas enables segregation, isolation, emergency staffing and logistics including 53-foot tractor trailers and special purpose vehicles/equipment.
- 24 x 7 security staffing.
- Interior and exterior video monitoring.
- UL-certified intrusion detection system.
- Building Management System monitored by on- and off-campus secure network operations centers.
- Sophisticated, real-time monitoring (1400 times daily) of data flows and network connections for problem detection and resolution.
- Passive static electricity reduction systems.
- See Power section for power-plant security.
- HALON 1301 – industry-leading clean chemical dry agent fire suppression
Professional Support Services
- Full range of expert support services available from remote hands to skilled engineering support.
- More on AiNET Professional Support Services.